This is a recipe is from our Primal Provisions collection.
Click below to download a printable version of this recipe.
Click Here to Download the Recipe
Cracked Pepper Prime Rib (DF) with Horseradish Cream
To make this dairy free, omit the horseradish cream
- 5 lb boneless beef prime rib roast
- 2 tbsp black peppercorns, coarsely ground/cracked in a spice grinder
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 c. sour cream
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 c. freshly grated (and peeled) horseradish
- Place the roast on a rack inside of a roasting pan fat side up.
- Pat dry with paper towels.
- Sprinkle outsides and ends with the salt and pepper.
- Allow to come to room temperature for about 3 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 500’ for at least 30 minutes.
- Add the beef and allow to cook for exactly 25 minutes (for a perfect medium rare, add a little extra time if you want it more well done).
- Turn off the oven but DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN FOR TWO HOURS. (It is very important that the oven doesn’t get opened after you initially put the roast in the oven.)
- The roast will continue to cook in the hot oven and will be ready to serve immediately after that two hour period.
- While the meat is cooking, prepare the horseradish cream: Combine 1 c. sour cream, 1.2 tsp lemon juice, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 c. freshly grated horseradish.
Carbs: 2.75g per serving with the horseradish cream
- If your roast is not exactly 5 pounds, adjust the cooking time to that it is 5 minutes per pound. (Ex: a 4 lb roast would cook for 20 minutes).
- We use a spice grinder like this one: http://amzn.to/2wsl2wV
- We use a roasting pan with a rack like this one: http://amzn.to/2vPZPLu
Click the button below to download a printable copy of the recipe.