If you’re craving sushi, but the rice has too many carbs for you, try this alternative.
I’ve broken this recipe down into lots of steps, but don’t let that intimidate you. It’s actually super simple and quick!
- 1 large avocado
- 2 oz. cream cheese, room temp
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp prepared wasabi (I made mine from pure wasabi powder)
- 1 tsp tamari
- 1 sashimi grade tuna steak, sliced into thin strips
- 1 zucchini, sliced into thin strips (I used a mandoline)
- 3 radishes, sliced into matchsticks
- 3 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted or liquid form
- To make the mousse, just blend all together in a food processor or blender until smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat your broiler.
- After slicing the zucchini, lay the strips out on a paper towel and sprinkle the side facing up with salt.
- Let stand for 5 minutes, then flip over the strips and salt the side now facing up.
- Let stand for another 5 minutes (while some of the water drains).
- Blot the tops of the strips with a paper towel and then brush each side with a tiny bit of coconut oil.
- Arrange the zucchini strips on a grill pan (if you have one) and place under the broiler. Cook for about 6-7 minutes and flip slices over.
- Cook for another 5 minutes or until you just start to get a little browning. Those little brown grill marks add lots of flavor!
- Remove from the oven and blot strips dry.
- Spread the length of the strip with the mousse.
- Top with tuna slices and radish sticks.
- Add a sprinkling of salt.
- Roll up and enjoy!
Makes about 12 rolls, serves 2 (6 rolls each)
Carb count: about 19 grams for 12 rolls (does not include leftover mousse). At 6 rolls each, that’s about 9.5g carbs per serving (About 3g carbs per tbsp of leftover mousse)
Note: You’ll only need about 1/2 the mousse for the recipe. Save the remainder for a snack with veggies!