This is a recipe is from our Primal Provisions collection.
Click below to download a printable version of this recipe.
Ingredients for Meat Mixture:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 2 lbs ground beef
- black pepper to taste
- 1 c. beef stock
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
Ingredients for Cauli Mash Topping:
- 1 head cauliflower (about 5-6” in diameter)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tsp kosher salt (more if desired)
- 2 oz. goat cheese
- 1 tsp gluten-free tamari
- Cut florets from 1 cauliflower head and steam until tender.
- While the cauliflower is still warm, combine it with 2 tbsp butter, 2 tbsp sour cream, 1 tsp kosher salt, 2 oz. goat cheese, and 1 tsp tamari in a food processor and run until smooth. (Stop sooner if you prefer more texture or a chunkier version). Set aside while you make the meat mixture.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add the chopped 1/2 yellow onion, 4 cloves garlic, 2 carrots, 1 bell pepper, and 1 tbsp rosemary and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the 2 lbs ground beef to the pan and break up the meat with a spatula.
- Incorporate the vegetables into the meat and season with the 1.5 tsp salt and pepper to taste.
- Continue cooking until meat is just cooked through, about 7 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1 c. beef stock and 2 tbsp tomato paste.
- Pour over meat mixture and stir to incorporate.
- Turn on the broiler setting for your oven.
- Simmer for about 12-15 minutes, or until the liquid is mostly reduced.
- Add the meat mixture to a casserole pan and spread the cauli mash over the top.
- Bake the meat pie on the top rack for about 10 minutes, but watch to make sure the top doesn’t get over browned.
Carbs: 8.75g per serving
- Leftover tomato paste freezes well.
- We use a steamer basket like this one: http://amzn.to/2kY1Z9G
- We use a food processor like this one: http://amzn.to/2lZicJs