This is a recipe is from our Primal Provisions collection. We typically eat just the meat with no bread. BUT if you want the fully gooey bread experience, we’ve included an optional cream cheese crepe bread recipe below. The sloppy joes are dairy free, but the crepes are not.
Click below to download a printable version of this recipe.
Click Here to Download the Recipe
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs ground beef
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 14 oz. can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 mango, peeled/seeded
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground mustard
- 1 tbsp gluten-free tamari
- 1/2 tsp salt
- sour cream
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat and add the minced garlic, chopped onion, and chopped bell pepper.
- Sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and use a spatula to break up the meat into crumbles as it cooks.
- Stir to incorporate the onion mixture.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and cook until meat is no longer pink. (Do not drain the meat).
- While it cooks, add the 2 tbsp tomato paste, 14 oz. can diced tomatoes, 1/2 mango,1 tbsp chili powder, 1 tbsp ground mustard, 1 tbsp gluten-free tamari, and 1/2 tsp salt to a food processor and purée to make the sauce.
- Stir the sauce into the meat mixture and continue to simmer until the sauce reaches your preferred thickness (10-15 minutes).
Carbs: 11.5g per serving
- If your sauce thickens more than you’d like, add water a tablespoon at a time until it thins to your preference.
Cream Cheese Crepes
These crepes are also a good, low carb way to add a little bread to a meal that just screams for a side of bread. We recommend eating them only as part of a larger meal and not in isolation.
- 2 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- butter or coconut oil for cooking
- Blend first four ingredients in a blender.
- Heat butter/coconut oil over medium heat and cook crepes in 3″ rounds.
Makes about 8 (3″) crepes
Carb count: 2.25g per recipe
- Cook these much like pancakes. Make sure that the pan is hot and well greased with coconut oil. Flip when first side begins to bubble in the center.
- You’ll have more luck with these if you let the batter rest about 10 minutes before cooking.
- We use a blender like this one: http://amzn.to/2kDEuTj
Click the button below to download a printable copy of the recipe.