This is one of my very favorite summer salads — one I have taken to many a party and have served to many of my own dinner guests. You can almost use it as a salad template, substituting other lettuces, vinaigrettes, grilled stone fruits, berries and proteins.
If you aren’t familiar with burrata, be prepared for a treat. A ball of burrata has a shell of mozzarella cheese that conceals a loose milky, curdy cheese inside. Its creamy richness is surprisingly subtle, making it a nice counterbalance to a peppery arugula salad.
With the grilled nectarines, this salad embodies the essence of summer. Enjoy.
- 4 nectarines, halved and pit removed
- 1/4 c. coconut oil, melted
- Nonstick spray (We like coconut oil spray.)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 1/4 c.)
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 bunch of arugula**, stems removed, washed well and dried
- 1/4 lb prosciutto slices, torn into smaller pieces
- 3 balls of burrata (about 3/4 oz.), cut into quarters
- 1 pint blackberries, washed
- Kosher or other finishing salt to taste
- Preheat the grill to 450º while you prepare the nectarines. Spray the grill with nonstick spray prior to heating.
- Brush the nectarines with a light coating of the coconut oil
- Once the grill is heated, grill the nectarines flesh-side down for about 4 minutes and then flip and repeat.
- Remove them and set aside. Once cool, cut each of the halves in half once more.
- Prepare the vinaigrette by whisking all the ingredients.
- Place the arugula in a bowl and pour about half of the vinaigrette mixture and toss to coat. Add more as desired and save the rest for a later use.
- Transfer the dressed arugula to a serving bowl and top with cheese, berries, nectarines, and prosciutto.
- Sprinkle with finishing salt and serve.
Serves 2 as a main dish, 4 as a side dish.